What is VLM?

The Vincentian Lay Missionaries is an organization founded in 2005 by the Daughters of Charity. Our mission is to enmesh lay young adults in the ministry and service of St. Vincent de Paul by partnering with the global Vincentian Family - the Congregation of the Mission and the Daughters of Charity. Vincentians believe in creating lasting systemic change, living in solidarity with the people they serve, and promoting peace and dignity for all peoples.

Check it out!

Welcome to my blog! My explanation for writing this starts with my very first post: The Journey Begins, Part 1.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Jambo from Kitale!

Jambo Rafikis! (Hello friends!) Greetings from the beautiful country of Kenya! There is so much to say and so little time to say it in. We are all doing well and so happy to be here with the Daughters.


We just completed week 1 of our camp! We’ve had many successes and some interesting challenges along the way, but overall I feel that it was a huge success. We said farewell to our first group this afternoon.

There are many thoughts I’m wrestling with at the moment – mostly about the best ways to affect systemic change for the harsh poverty surrounding us. Just having these children for a week, and then sending them on their way, is no small task. My heart has been broken by their struggles and been healed again by their smiles more times than I could count this week, and I know next week will bring the same. As time helps me unfold my thoughts, I will share them as I can.

For now, know that we are all well, and we appreciate your prayers as we plan for our next group of children!

3 comments:

  1. It's so good to hear from you! As always, we'll keep those prayers coming! Love always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and the children! You're an amazing woman and I'm so proud of the work you're doing!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear things are going well. I'm praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete