What is VLM?

The Vincentian Lay Missionaries is an organization founded in 2005 by the Daughters of Charity. Our mission is to enmesh lay young adults in the ministry and service of St. Vincent de Paul by partnering with the global Vincentian Family - the Congregation of the Mission and the Daughters of Charity. Vincentians believe in creating lasting systemic change, living in solidarity with the people they serve, and promoting peace and dignity for all peoples.

Check it out!

Welcome to my blog! My explanation for writing this starts with my very first post: The Journey Begins, Part 1.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Being Present with the Abstract

I’m finding that, much like before my first trip to Africa, it is very easy to get caught up in day to day activity. Between work, relationships, chores and projects, sometimes someone saying “You’re going to Africa?!” almost catches me off-guard.

I believe there is some value in this. For example, one of the most interesting cultural differences I learned in Ethiopia was the idea of living in the moment. Jesus tells us only to worry about today, because tomorrow will have enough cares of its own. There have been so many times in my life where I’ve found myself just counting down to the next stage – it’s actually quite refreshing to find myself caught up in the cares of today. If you constantly live in a state of preparation for tomorrow, you won’t notice today’s beauty!

It’s not all upside though. I also think in our culture, it’s very common to supersede the important with the urgent. Everyone is always in a hurry because things needed to “be done yesterday.” Finding ways to live in the moment with God, is a different thing altogether. Being present to abstract realities - preparation for mission, spiritual exercises, etc - takes dedicating time from our lives. There is a time to sow, and a time to reap. 

My goal for this week is to spend some real time, not just "spare time," offering our upcoming VLM journey to God. Please continue to pray for our volunteers, our worksites, and our mission - and may we all become more in tune with the abstract in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment